We paid our deposit and were very happy with the school where we were lucky enough to be accepted. Originally, it hadn’t been our first choice, but we were waitlisted at our first choice and quickly found happiness with our new school “home”.
Then the unexpected happened – we got the phone call offering us a spot off the waitlist at what had been our first choice. I have to say, even though this is supposedly a “good” problem to have, we were a mess. I couldn’t figure out what my gut was saying, and frankly, I couldn’t figure out if I even had one any more! My husband and I went round and round… I know I shouldn’t say it, but it was miserable.
In the end, we did decide to switch horses midstream, as it were, but it was an agonizing decision. We opted for the change and went with the school that had been our initial first choice ONLY because we thought it was going to be the best choice for our child. In the end that was our focus, and the thrust of our decision making.
I never realized how psychologically hard it was going to be to revisit the whole process again after what we affectionately call, “D-Day”.
Your wisdom has been very helpful and I have appreciated all your insight on this entire subject. Thank you!