- Families are using tutors to prepare their preschoolers for the kindergarten testing day at uber-traditional schools like John Thomas Dye and Carlthorp.
- One mom we spoke to recently toured 27 LA private elementary schools! We think that’s a record number! Her child will be entering Curtis School this fall.
- Sometimes, home is where the heart is. A friend declined a spot for kindergarten at Oakwood for fall 2011 to stay at Temple Israel of Hollywood. Another acquaintance is leaving Oakwood to return to Temple Israel in the fall where her child attended preschool.
- Overheard: “The Center For Early Education is our neighborhood school”. That’s the problem! It’s everybody‘s neighborhood school (or at least many want it to be).
- Admissions secrets…what are friends for? A mom who has already gotten her kid into a top private school gave a friend her entire file of applications, essays, letters and everything else. Don’t panic! We have all this stuff in our book, Beyond The Brochure. And, mom #1 invites mom #2 over to look through her private elementary school roster so mom #2, who will be applying to mom #1’s school can identify other moms she may know who can call admissions director on her behalf.
- There’s a big effort underway to increase the number of families staying through middle school at K-8 schools like Willows and Turning Point. Some K-6 school heads are concerned because this means fewer middle school spaces for their graduates.
- We hear there are 6 kids who won’t be continuing on to The Willows kindergarten from the DK class. Typically, most kids continue on to kindergarten from DK…
- Check out our new Facebook Page! “Like” Beyond The Brochure on FB and you’ll get our updates in your news feed. It’s noteworthy private elementary school events, news and information we can’t always post on the blog.
2 thoughts to “Private Elementary School Buzz…”
My friends and I love this blog. Good buzz! It has us buzzing. FANTASTIC to hear there may be more K spots at Willows next year.
I love the buzz, more please!