If you’ve been staring at a blank application form wondering what to write, nervous about how to describe your child, you’re probably not alone. Writing applications can be exciting once you get going, but its the getting started that can be so hard. We have real applications in Beyond The Brochure for this reason. Its great to see what an accepted family’s application looks like.
Beyond The Brochure co-author Anne Simon offers these essential characteristics of a great written application:
- Create a family mission statement and make sure that everything on the application is reflective of this family message in some way
- Be able to craft a positive and accurate picture of your child
- Communicate something unique about your family and/or your child
- Describe what you can– and will do– as a participant member of the school community
- Read the school’s mission statement. Demonstrate that you understand the mission of the school and that you feel it is a great fit for your family and/or child
Anne Simon is the former head of Wildwood Elementary School and the former dean of the Crossroads Middle School. Her daughter, a veterinarian, is a graduate of Crossroads.