Recently, we’ve received several reader emails asking what they should wear to parent coffees and other private school admissions events. A few moms said they were very nervous about what to wear (in addition to being anxious about the events!). I was also stressed about what I should wear for our daughter’s kindergarten admissions events so I know the feeling!
Here are a few tips:
- Wear an outfit that makes you feel confident and comfortable
- Avoid flip flops, sweatpants and very casual yoga wear
- Don’t wear anything too low cut or too tight
- If you could wear it to a night club, it probably isn’t right for these events
- Your outfit doesn’t have to be expensive and you shouldn’t feel compelled to buy anything new if your current wardrobe will suffice. But, if it makes you feel good, purchase something new to update an outfit!
I’m no fashion expert (or fashionista) by any means, but I have learned a few things after going through the admissions process twice. You will see every type of outfit imaginable at these events, from head to toe Chanel to grunge rocker. When I attended admissions events, I usually chose a blazer, trench coat or casual jacket, black or dark wash jeans and silk tops, with accessories, for my events. The look that’s best for me is effort at “Mom On The Go”. I’m tall (5’10) so I usually wear flats. See photos below for what I’d wear!