This week has been a moving-way-too-fast five days. My kids went back to school at The Willows on Monday after Winter Break. I’ve been visiting new schools to profile for the blog, writing a guest post on how schools assess kids and trying to keep up with everything, which for me means making sure we don’t run out of coffee!
I’m participating in my first online journaling class run by one of my favorite photojournalist/author/bloggers, Karen Walrond of Chookooloonks. The topic is Create 2013! The first prompt is: Make An Awesome List of 2012. Wow! I love being able to think, write and select my favorite 2012 memories as a starting place! I know this course will inspire me to be the best mom, wife, friend, writer I can possibly be. To be more self-forgiving, to live in the moment, to remember that good intentions count and to be truly grateful, are all things I need to focus on. Maybe some of you can relate?
We have my husband, Barry’s, aunt and uncle coming to town this weekend from Philadelphia and I can’t wait. I love brunch at Factor’s or Nate and Al’s, shopping at The Grove, movies, cooking dinner and just hanging out with them.
Here are a few pics from our Winter Break…we were here in L.A. and loved every minute of it (except when we went to LACMA and I had dripping wet hair and hadn’t eaten lunch). Still, the Ken Price exhibit was pretty fabulous!
And, a few interesting events and links for your reading pleasure…
- Sierra Canyon School, Chatsworth- Lower School Open House on Sat. Jan. 12 at 10 a.m. (that’s tomorrow!) www.sierracanyonschool.org
- Betsy Brown Braun: ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Here I come! Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. A framework for observing, assessing, and choosing an elementary school will be presented at this seminar. Private and public schools in the City and the Valley will be discussed along with the application process, school visits, interviews, and a timeline for applications. For more information, click HERE.
- More upcoming events HERE
- In private elementary school news, Paula Dashiell, head of school at Echo Horizon School in Culver City will retire at the end of the 2012-13 school year. Assistant head of school, Martha Schuur will serve as acting head until a permanent replacement is named.
- Getting involved in fundraising at your school? Here’s an interview with author Sarah Barrett about her book, A Mom’s Guide To School Fundraising and some tips that can help you successfully raise money on Supermommynot.com
- Center For Early Education: Public Event: Parent Education Evening: Media Boundaries and Mindfulness (tentative title) Dr. Larry Rosen, Tuesday, April 9, 2013 / 7:00 p.m.,CEE Community Center. More information about the program is coming soon. In the meantime, visit Dr. Rosen’s website to learn more about his work. Or, visit, www.centerforearlyeducation.org
- Is Private School Not Expensive Enough? In The New York Times.
- A documentary film and website at The Prep School Negro
- My friend, Lauri Kranz, designs and oversees gardens for Willows and Westland Schools and private residential and commercial clients. Check out her gorgeous blog at Edible Gardens LA.
Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekend!